Friday 2 February 2007

What reflections and connections can you make with this novel?


When I was young, I made grand plans about my future. I was going to study very hard, go to a famous college, get a magnificent job, get piles of money and change the world. However, as I got older, I realized that my plans were just going to be dreams. The reality of this world did not allow success to happen as easily as I thought it would when I was young. I lost hope in my young immature dream and just settled to achievable goals in my life. Through reading Peace Child, I got a lesson that probably was not the major lesson the author wanted the readers to get. I regained hope that one person indeed could make a difference in the world. Even though the author did not become a millionaire through his experience, he changed the traditions of hundreds of people, which had been obeyed as long as since their existence. To me, the book was saying that you do not need excessive fame, money, or intelligence to make a difference. You can just be the average typical person, with strong perseverance, faith and an attitude willing to serve others; that is all that is needed to change the world. I had lowered my plans for my future at first because I thought I would not be good enough to achieve them all, and if I didn't, I thought I would be disappointed in myself. In a way, this book inspired me to strive for as much as you can, because even the smallest person can change the outcome of the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hyang soo,
I think you are right..
I have made a magnificant plans for my future as well. I was so upsessed with the earthly things such as fame, money, and power therefore I did not see how other things could play in part of my life. But as you have said, even referred from this novel, fame and power aren't everything. Don Richardson had achieved something great and powerful not for him but for the glory of God. Spreading Christianity doens't make you earn more money nor give you higher social status. However it provides bigger opportunity for us to live with God for our eternal life. Like you have said, I have also learned to lower my unnecessary goals in life, and to just do best I can in everything. Also, it is important for us to build up treasures of heaven instead of treasures of earth.

carol said...

Hyang soo,
I can really understand how you feel. I was dreaming of becoming a rich, famous doctor, but as I got older I knew my dream was harder to achieve. As I attended Mission trips, I began to feel that God didn't want me to go to the path of fame. He wanted me to go to a path that would please him and that would spread Christianity. My goals, also changed by reading this book. I was able to see that by one man's faith a whole village was able to change. By my faith in God, I can hopefully spread his words to others. Our goals shouldn't be set for money or fame, our goals should be set for God.
<3 Caroline =)

African Globe Trotters. said...

Hyangsoo you did glean one of the most important messages from the novel. The importance of finding God's purpose for your life so that you can become all He needs and wants you to become. Find out what God's purpose for you is and don't lower your expectations but set your goals according to His plans for you and you will be amazed at what you can achieve. Just one person can make a difference. My father always says "Expect great things from God; and attempt great things for God" ... as the word of God says "seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you." Mrs.Mc.