Wednesday 31 January 2007

How does faith relate to to the world in which we live?

As mentioned in the blogs underneath, to me, faith means to trust in God and believe in him, even when things don't turn out the way you want them to. Faith is a motivation for me to carry on. No matter how much I slip and fall, faith tells me that all my adversities will be nothing compared to what I will get in the future if I endure through it.

Some people might argue that there is no such thing as faith, and that faith is for people who have no strength of their own, so they rely on another supernatural presence. However, in our world, faith is more omnipresent than what we think. This is because faith does not only mean a belief in God. The real definition of faith says that it can also be confidence in a trust or thing, belief in a code of ethics, etc. In a way, our faith is what we believe to be true. For instance, we have faith, or trust, whichever one you prefer, that our legs will support our body when we wake up every morning from bed. We have faith/trust in our legs. Thus, it is impossible to live without faith in anything. Everyone has faith in something, whether it is surface level, or deep.

Surface level faith is something that anyone can do. People do it unconsciously, without a doubt. Deep level faith, to believe in an intangible God, is harder to do. Although I confidently say that my faith is in God, there are so many people who have stronger faiths in God that it makes my faith look shabby and weak. When I read or hear other people's accounts of how faith influences their lives, it is similar to how faith acts in my life; as motivation, as inspiration and as encouragement. Although statistics show that the number of religious people have decreased over the years, faith unites all believers together in a way that they identically turn to faith during hard times, and trust upon it to be their guidance.

3 comments:

Jiwon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jiwon said...

Hey, Hyangsoo- I like that you pointed out how there are surface level faith and deep level faith among people. As you wrote, faith does not have to be related to God, or other supernatural beings. We all have faith in something whether something is an object, a person, or God. For example, I can say that I have faith in my friends:)
Do not think that your faith is shabby and weak compared to others' faith because every faith is important and valuable! Faith cannot be neither measured nor compared. In God's eyes, I believe that everyone's faith is special. Always remember that He loves you. So whatever hardships come in your life, do not be discourged and never give up!!

African Globe Trotters. said...

Yes some super ideas. Try read Hansul's post on faith - i think it ties in well. Mrs.Mc.